Tuesday 21 January 2014

2014 Reading Challenge #1 - Australian Women's Writer's Challenge

I'm someone who enjoys setting goals and challenges for myself.

They provide me with a reason for doing something when I'm tempted to do nothing at all (which happens quite a bit). They force me to try something new and expand my horizons (which I enjoy doing). And they provide me with an incredibly satisfying sense of achievement once I have accomplished them (because I really don't like failing at things).

I also really enjoy reading books.

But surprisingly, I've never thought of combining the two together.

So this year I've decided to do just that. I'm going to set myself some reading goals and challenges. Hooray!

The first one I've decided on is the Australian Women Writers Challenge. This challenge involves reading and/or reviewing a certain number of books authored by Australian Women. Consequently, it helps to support and promote Australian Women's writing. You can find out more about it here.


It appeals to me for a number of reasons, some of which are:
  • At uni I completed a number of subjects focusing on contemporary women's literature. I absolutely loved exploring the issues and themes in them then, but haven't really done so since
  • After reading this article by Lilit Marcus, I've felt further compelled to read more women's writing
  • As an Australian woman, I want to familiarise and learn more about issues that matter to women in 21st century Australia

My goal is to read at least 10 books by Australian women and review and least 6 of these in 2014. I'll mainly focus on the genres of contemporary (post mid-20th century) fiction, history/memoir/biography, and non-fiction.

This is going to be great.

AWW Tally

Read only
By the Book: A Reader's Guide to Life by Ramona Koval
Ducks on the Pond by Anne Summers
Night Games by Anna Krien

Read and reviewed
Bewitched and Bedevilled: Women Write the Gillard Years edited by Samantha Trenoweth
The Misogyny Factor by Anne Summers


Related articles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Read more: http://bloggerknown.blogspot.com/2013/02/changing-blog-page-by-page-number.html#ixzz2mUXnF3wj